13 Aug Learning from fellow parents | Minakshi Bajpai
“My typical evening starts with a hot cup of chai and amazing conversations with my children. I prepare their favourite smoothie and I always make a point to ask about their day and listen to their version”
Digital Product manager and a parenting blogger
Minakshi Bajpai has been writing about Parenting, Mom Care, Style & Fashion and Mom Beauty Secrets through her blog Mommystimeline. But her most challenging and prominent job is raising her 8 years old daughter and 4-year-old son. She has shared her parental experiences and tips with Miyav Kids and below is the excerpt.
- Screen time of kids was my biggest challenge, but slowly and steadily I diverted my child’s attention from gadgets to good books.
- I guess my energy comes from my kids, they are a powerhouse of energy and spread the same to me.
- “Let go” is one mantra which I follow to stay happy and calm during storming moments.
1. Where did the idea for the blog “MOMMYS TIMELINE” came from?
After the birth of my son, I got this desire to share my parenting stories and struggles of a working mother. So basically I was looking for a place where I could pen down my thoughts, be it mom guilt when i reach home late because of a project deadline in the office, or my son’s first smile or the bond my kids share. I was looking to pend down every little moment I spent with my kids.
After some initial research, I knew that I needed a blog. The next part was giving it a name which was not easy at all. I shortlisted a few names and finally came up with Mommystimeline as I wanted to talk about everything that happens in a mother’s day to day life. So that’s how Mommystimeline formed. It has ups as well as downs in my parenting journey.
2. How do you bring energy to your family life?
I am a positive person and always self-motivated.
I guess my energy comes from my kiddos, they are a powerhouse of energy and spread the same to me.
3. What’s one trend that excites you?
I was recently bitten by the sustainability bug. This is something I would love to take forward in my life. I am a huge fan and follower of sustainable living.
4. What does your typical evening look like and how do you make it great for your child?
My typical evening starts with a hot cup of chai and amazing conversations with my children. I prepare their favorite smoothie and I always make a point to ask about their day and listen to their version.
5. What is one habit of yours that makes you more productive as a parent?
I am a morning person who gets up really early and always follows a plan. I like to be organized as much as possible. I feel this is something that boosts my productivity.
6. As parents, what is the one thing you do over and over and recommend everyone else do?
Gentle parenting is something that I emphasize a lot. Kid’s mind is extremely fragile, we should always be gentle in our approach and give ample of time to them.
7. What is one strategy that has helped you keep calm during storming moments caused by other members of the family?
I practice mindfulness daily and believe in living in the moment. “Let go” is one mantra which I follow to stay happy and calm during storming moments. Unless and until it affects my kid’s, I choose to ignore it.
8. What is one failure you had as a parent, and how did you overcome it?
Screen time of kids was my biggest challenge, I could notice both my kids spending too much time on gadgets, eventually, this made my kids hyper. It was challenging for me to overcome the excessive screen time, but slowly and steadily I diverted my child’s attention from gadgets to good books. Now, I am raising 2 little readers and extremely proud of it.
9. What is one movie or documentary that you enjoyed as a family?
I surely have a huge list but our recent favourite is Lion King, my children love the narration and 3D effects a lot. Hence, it is by default our current favourite movie.
10. What is the best $100 you recently spent for your child? What and why?
I recently ordered 10 Indian mythological storybooks for my children. I feel this is my best recent spending.
11. What is one product or a service that helps you in parenting? How do you use it?
The camera installed at home; it is a saviour for working parents like me. I can easily keep my eyes on my children when I am away. I would say it is so far the best investment
12. What is the one book that you recommend our community should read and why?
I have read a lot of books on parenting but my all-time favorite is “How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk” best book for all the new parents.
13. What people have influenced your thinking and might be of interest to others?
My mother has always been my biggest inspiration and influencer of my life. When it comes to parenting, I take only her advice.
14. What is your favourite quote?
My favourite quote is “It is time for parents to teach young people that in diversity there is beauty and there is strength”.